Water - 10 Delicious Ayurvedic Variations to try this summer
It's a great summer finally here, isn't it?
With summer, come blue skies, warm breezes, and long walks. With all these activities, we have to make sure to pay attention to our water intake.
According to Ayurveda, water represents Soma, the cooling energy associated with lunar cycles. It helps with regulating digestion; balances Pitta dosha; removes the dryness of Vata, and maintains the balance of Kapha energy.
Sometimes, it becomes challenging to maintain a regular intake of water. We forget; it's boring; we switch to carbonated drinks.
But, we can energize the intake of water with several ideas. Do try these in summer and develop a liking for water :)
- Add a tsp. of Pink Himalayan salt.
- Add a slice of fresh lemon & orange
- Add freshly grated ginger & freshly grated turmeric root (1/2 tsp each)
- Soak 1 tsp. Chia seeds for 2 hrs and add them to the water
- Add 2 pods of crushed Cardamom / Elaichi seeds to the water.
- Steep 2 cloves / 1 tsp Fennel seeds. Then, add this to the water and sip through the day.
- Boil 1 tsp Ajwain seeds/ Bishop's weed with 2 cups of water. Cool; sip through the day.
- Drink Simple salt Lassi to replenish electrolyte imbalances. To a cup of yogurt, add 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of cumin powder, a little hing. Blend well and sip after a long walk or workout.
- Drink Fresh Coconut water; it replenishes electrolytes in the body and enhances hydration.
- Boil 1 inch of Indian Cinnamon / Dalchinni in 2 cups of water. Cool; sip through the day.
Let me know if you liked any of these delicious water concoctions!