Thyroid Gland : Activate & Nourish with Asanas, Pranayama, Accupressure & Ayurvedic Tips
The Thyroid gland is one of the most important endocrine glands in the human body.
It produces hormones Thyroxine (T4), Triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), that influence every cell, tissue and organ in your body.
Hormones secreted by the thyroid gland are responsible for the body's metabolism, temperature and growth.
Since the thyroid gland is connected to gastrointestinal function, adrenal hormone metabolism, blood-sugar levels, stomach acid production, brain chemistry changes, and liver detoxification, its dysfunction can contribute to many health issues in your body such as chronic weight gain, mental and physical fatigue, and weakened immune and digestive function.
There are basically two kinds of thyroid disorders: hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
While the former is characterized by the thyroid gland being unable to produce enough thyroid hormones, the latter occurs as a result of the thyroid gland releasing too much hormones.
Yoga Asanas and Pranayama techniques are considered to be an effective natural remedy for dealing with thyroid disorders.
When practiced consistently, these specific yoga poses and breathing techniques work by clearing the stagnation around our organs, resetting the balance of our endocrine and lymphatic system, which ultimately supports overall endocrine and glandular health.
I will be teaching this whole sequence next week in class.
Please try to join in to learn, understand and do the sequence consistently for best results.
- Bhastrika Pranayama : Practice Bhastrika Pranayama daily for 2 cycles, with 24 breaths in each cycle. This shoule be preferably done on an empty stomach, early in the morning
- Kundalini Active Twist movement - Place fingertips together; swing the body side-to-side, as you inhale & exhale strongly. Continue for 12 breaths. Repeat for 2 cycles
- Dolphin Pose / Ardha Pincha Mayurasana : From Table, release forearms to ground, interlace fingers and open palms; inhale, lift hips to sky; rest crown of head into interlaced palms and hold for 8 - 10 breaths. Release down into Child's Pose and rest.
- Supported Cobra / Bhujangasana : Lie down on tummy; inhale and slowly rise up with elbows just below rib cage; lengthen into the neck and hold for 6 breaths.
- Lion Pose / Simhasana : Sit into Vajrasana; keep hands on thighs; Inhale deeply; Exhale strongly through the mouth, push tongue out; repeat 6 times.
- Half Camel Pose / Ardha Ustrasana : From Vajrasana, come onto knees. Place hands on lower back for support; Inhale and arch back into a back bend, open though the neck and throat; hold for 6 breaths. Then, release into Child's Pose.
- Half Fish Pose / Ardha Matsyasana : Lie down on back, flex toes inward; pull the elbows close to your body; inhale and lift chest up, open though the neck and rest crown of head into mat; hold for 8 breaths.
- Supported Shoulderstand / Sarvangasana : Lie down close to a wall; keep feet on the wall and walk them towards the sky, slowly lifting hips ; place hands at base of spine; hold for 8 - 10 breaths. Repeat 2nd cycle, if possible.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana Spinal Twist - Keep left knee bent and resting on the floor, pull right foot beside left knee; hold right knee with left hand; place right hand beside right hip; inhale, lengthen spine; exhale and twist to right side; hold for 6 breaths and return to center. Repeat on left side.
- Bhramari Pranayama : End the practice with Bhramari Pranayama for 10 breaths.
- Legs-Up-The-Wall Pose / Viparita Karani Pose : Sit close to a wall, slowly place the hips into the wall and extend both legs on the wall, relax body into ground, close your eyes and rest for 8 - 10 minutes.
- End practice with "Om" chanting, 12 times, focusing on the throat area.
Ayurvedic Remedies / Diet Modifications :
Avoid cruciferous vegetables like cabbage,cauliflower, broccoli.
Use spices like ginger, black pepper, fennel, cumin, coriander seeds,
Eat garlic, quinoa, brown rice, apples, sprouted beans, lentils, dark chocolate :)
Increase intake of fiber-rich foods like spinach, kale; but cooked lightly in coconut oil.
Try walking in early morning sunshine for 10 minutes.
Try Journaling daily to cleanse / balance the Throat Chakra / Vishuddha.
Use Flax Seed powder with food.
Count your Blessings; Practice Conscious Gratitude :)
Accupressure Point to balance the Thyroid : Place the right thumb on the corner of the space near the right big toe; press lightly and massage for 1 minute. Keep steady pressure as you breathe deeply; focus your attention on the point. Rest for 10 seconds. Then, repeat on the left foot.
Hope this information helps; brings positive modifications to your Life.
Do share this with any family members , friends who need help.