Office Yoga - Yes, at your desk, start today!
This post is about Yoga Postures and Stretches you can do at the office, on your chair!!
I have heard a lot of complaints that people who work in offices do not find the time and the energy to come to a yoga class and work-out those tight and tired muscles.
So, I thought of taking the Yoga class to everyone, who's at their desk right now - no more excuses, right?
Many of my friends and clients work in front of a computer for long hours, resulting in back pain, wrist pain, and several repetitive stress injuries. Just taking a few minutes to do these stretches at your desk can help your muscles release tension, lessen stress and especially, help you face the day a little better :))
This is a short series of stretches which can be done at lunchtime or in between meetings. You can also break it up into two shorter sessions.
I believe if you have the Intention to practice, You will find the Time to do it!!
So, let's start;
1. Centering Breath - Whatever may be your method of commute, on the bus, subway or at a red light if you are driving, take a moment to breathe deeply, find your center.
Sit or stand tall; lift your spine from the base upwards, deepen your breathing, inhale deeply through the nostrils and exhale through the mouth; try it 5 times; now feel the quietness inside as you continue using the longer breaths. You can use this Centering breath anytime.
2. Neck Tension Release Pose - Lengthen your back and drop the shoulder blades down. Relax hands on your thighs. Gently close your eyes. As you inhale, slowly look up and as you exhale, slowly look down. Repeat 5 times. Try to make inhalations and exhalations long and deep.
3. Seated Forward Bend - Push your chair away from the desk. Keep both feet flat on the floor. Interlace your fingers behind your back. Now, slowly bend forward, release your neck and rest your chest on your thighs. Hold the posture for 6 - 7 breaths and slowly come back to center.
4. Seated Spinal Twist on Chair - Sit slightly towards the front of your seat. Let your feet be on the floor. Hold the back of your chair with the right hand, keep left hand on right thigh. Take a deep inhale and lengthen your spine. As you exhale, slowly twist your body to the right. Release your shoulder blades down. Hold this pose for 5 breaths. Come back to center and repeat on another side.
5. Standing Supported Forward Bend - Place both your hands on your desk or on the wall and then walk your feet away from your desk, slowly bend at the hips till your torso and arms are parallel to the floor, release any tension at the back of the neck, hold this pose for 8 breaths.
I feel these postures done during the day will release the tightness in your muscles and create
much-needed space and energy. Do write back with any doubts.
Let your path through Life be smooth,
Let your breath calm you today,